Monday, February 6, 2012

S'mores Bars


Many moons ago I was a girl scout, and somehow the majority of my fond memories involve fire and/or food... roasting hot dogs, roasting marshmallows, roasting more marshmallows, munching thin mints... hmm, well, perhaps this is why I never stuck with scouting past elementary school.

Since becoming a New York apartment-dweller, days of fireplaces are (sadly) behind me. In a craving for s'mores I debated roasting marshmallows via the microwave (just not the same) or gas stove burners (seemed like a bad idea). The compromise was to try out a recipe for s'mores bars. The verdict: very easy to make, and actually quite tasty!

A little dab will do you on these puppies though - they are high on the gooey/rich scale.

S'mores Bars
  • 1 (21.5 ounce) package brownie mix
  • 6 graham crackers
  • 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows (I modified this to 2 cups)
  • 8 (1.5 ounce) bars milk chocolate, coarsely chopped (I had a bunch of chocolate chips on hand, so I just used a handful of chocolate chips instead)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare brownie mix according to package directions. Spread into a greased 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a medium bowl, break graham crackers into 1 inch pieces (doesn't need to be exact - my pieces were rather smaller and haphazardly sized) and toss with miniature marshmallows and milk chocolate. Set s'more mixture aside.
  3. Bake brownies for 25 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove, and sprinkle the s'more goodies evenly over the top. Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until marshmellows become golden brown. Allow brownies to cool before cutting into squares.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment