Sunday, October 17, 2010

Onions Have Layers


The first weekend in October I went back to Richmond/Williamsburg VA to visit family, friends, and a few of my professors from the William & Mary days. It was great to catch up with everyone, and created that bittersweet feeling of starting our lives in NYC while missing our 'roots' a few hundred miles away. (Though, to quote Sweet Home Alabama, "you can have roots and wings"). Anyway, one of the cool things we did over the weekend was attend the Cirque de Symphony at the VA Performing Arts Center. Essentially the performance linked two different performing arts, with the Virginia Orchestra playing a variety of classical pieces while several members of an international acrobatics troop perform cirque du soleil-type moves in the foreground.

It was both beatuiful and enthralling, with a few moments where I turned to Afton and said "I really don't think the human body is supposed to be able to bend that way!" Especially impressive where a couple of men at the end who performed stunts with one another - at one point, one of the guys was in a push up position on the stage, while the second guy was in a pushup position, but suspended only by having a hand on the first guy's neck! Eek! (Pictures below... and for more details/pictures for the event, see Hadar's blog)).

As I was leaving the theater I was struck by a couple of thoughts:
1. I felt an immediate need to start going to the gym more often (including yoga)
2. I began wondering about layers. The evening was almost magical; two different types of activities brought together that created a whole much bigger than the sum of its parts.

It left me wondering how I could better combine other seemingly unrelated layers into my own life. How can I be more philanthropic/community focused in my approach to work? How can I marry my english/creative side with a business world that is much more detail driven? How do I layer balance into a workaholic city?

There are no ready answers, but as Cirque de Symphony showed, unrelated layers can create unexpected beauties.



1 comment:

  1. "unrelated layers can create unexpected beauties."

    A beautiful, thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete