Monday, March 19, 2012

An Apple A Day


My rubric for recipe approval is two-fold: tastiness and easiness.


 


A recent discovery of an apple bread recipe yielded strong results in both categories, so I thought I would pass it along. I skipped the walnuts, partly because 1 cup of chopped walnuts was $4.99 at our grocery store (oh, Manhattan), and partly because I’m not super keen on walnuts in desserts.




 Ingredients:
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 2 cups peeled, diced apples (I always like to use Granny Smith for apple baking)
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 teaspoon flour
Directions:
  1. Mix flour, cinnamon, soda, salt and baking powder together.
  2. Beat eggs and add sugar and oil.
  3. Add vanilla and dry ingredients.
  4. Stir in apples.
  5. Mix walnuts in a tsp of flour and add to batter.
  6. Pour into 2 greased loaf pans.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour
 That's it! My loaf pans are fairly large (and my oven is a bit unpredictable in heating), so I ended up baking for ~70 minutes. Just bake until a toothpick comes out fairly clean (at least not gooey).

No comments:

Post a Comment